Prenatal Care is the care you get while you are pregnant. This care is provided by a team of doctors professionals', physician, nurse practitioners, nurse, family counselor and nutritionist. The goal of prenatal care is to monitor the progress of a pregnancy, answer questions, provide support and education and prepare for the delivery and the birth of a child.
All mothers benefit from prenatal care. Women who see a health care provider regularly during pregnancy have healthier babies, are less likely to deliver prematurely, and less likely to have other serious problems related to pregnancy. Coos County Family Health Services offers a team approach to help you through the progress of your pregnancy and after your delivery.
During prenatal visits, our health care team will:
- Teach you about pregnancy and plan for delivery
- Monitor any medical conditions you may have
- Monitor progress of pregnancy
- Refer you to services such as a support group, WIC program, and childbirth education classes
As soon as you think that you are pregnant, call your health care provider to schedule for your first prenatal care appointment. During your pregnancy it is important you attend all your prenatal care appointments.
As part of our Prenatal Program CCFHS also offers a Mom and Newborn Home Visit. Our Home Health nurse, Andrea Labonville, RN, will contact you within the first three weeks after delivery to schedule a home visit.
During her visit our Home Health Nurse will:
- perform a Postpartum Assessment and a Newborn Health Assessment on your baby
- measure and weigh your baby
- check the physical condition of the baby
- listen to the lungs and heart rate
- check the temperature and digestive system
- help you with any breastfeeding/ bottle feeding questions you may have
- help you with any concerns you have after delivery (wound care, contraception) and postpartum nutritional needs
Please accept a home visit from Andrea Labonville, RN, within the first 3 weeks of your hospital discharge, or contact Andrea at CCFHS, Gorham at 603-466-2741 extension 3833. Coös County Family Health Services Prenatal Clinic is available to you at 603-752-2040.